Monday, September 16, 2013

As an introduction to the class, I'd just like to say a few things about myself before getting into the readings, writings, and other jazz for the class.

My name is Nick Garzon, I've been at Eastern for five years, and with success, this should be my last year. I am a Studio Arts Major, Getting a Bachelors of Science inPrintmaking, with a Creative Writing minor. I love Art and Mixed Media, and believe that lines between the literary world and the art world should be blurred as much as possible. I am in another Creative Writing course this semester, Contemporary Forms with Christine Hume, and she asked us what contemporary form we found inspirational to our work, I think mine would be the new faces of fear in the genre of horror and science fiction. I am not much of a science fiction writer, but I draw most of my inspiration for my own work from elements and fragments of horror movies and scientific fiction, the stranger the better!

I consider myself a storyteller more than a writer, I love most forms of expressing narrative or capturing moments and weaving them into a plot. I am a graphic novel and comic book junkie, and also spend a great deal of time listening to and organizing my ever growing collection of concept albums, books on CD, improvisational poetry, and other exercises in the mode of a great story. My dream job would be working as a writer and illustrator for my own graphic novels, having them published, and being able to  put them on my dusty old book shelf at home. I don't really care much for success or money, or even if people "like" what I make, I prefer the quiet satisfaction of seeing an idea through, and having something physical to show for it.

I am not much of a poet, although I do dabble in some lyric and experimental poetry, I mostly work on fiction or mixed media projects. I am always interested in collaboration of ideas and helping others with their work. My own projects usually get set on a huge back burner in order to focus on other people's creativity.

That's enough about me for now....

In response to the Cixous, we read in class. I do not necessarily agree with the general "eyes open for the first time" writing approach. I believe it is important to look at a subject or piece of writing from many different angels, but to re-simplify and cut to the essence of something leaves so much shrapnellic (my word) bit of language and evocation that may be used to strengthen a piece. I love the sticky sap-like residue of writers who have just been writing too long. They are typically jaded, cynical, self-deprecating, etc. These are all qualities that I feel make the experience of writing more exciting.

 Adding to a wealth of knowledge and experience, should we choose to simplify? Cast aside our language swords for a mere stick of substance? Maybe it is a good idea, but it does leave one unguarded and in a more vulnerable place then before. I have a hard time casting aside my shell of writing. I have a style and personality that took me along time to get right, reforged again, and again and again. So if I wish to make a masterpiece, something that touches the human spirit, should I cast myself out of my writing? Or maybe it's the other way around. Maybe it is better to keep a safe distance from your work, and to tread carefully as if it is a new experience each time. This approach may help to provide clarity or deeper richer emotion.

I got the sense of the Phoenix myth form Cixous, at the end of it's life the phoenix smolders into a pile of ashes and is reborn of new flame from those ashes to start anew. Personally, it seems a bit to cliche to me. We are not mental phoenixes, nor are we experiential phoenixes (phoenix?) We harbor emotional attachment to that we are familiar with. Stove hot, ice cold, rain wet, college student cynical, etc. So to cast aside our inclinations feels forced or maybe farced?



No comments:

Post a Comment